Sodium (atomic symbol: Na, atomic number: 11) is a Block D, Group 5, Period 4 element with an atomic weight of 22.989769. The number of electrons in each of Sodium's shells is [2, 8, 1] and its electron configuration is [Ne] 3s1.The sodium atom has a radius of 185.8 pm and a Van der Waals radius of 227 pm. Sodium was discovered and first isolated by Sir Humphrey Davy in 1807. In its elemental form, sodium has a silvery-white metallic appearance. It is the sixth most abundant element, making up 2.6 % of the earth's crust. Sodium does not occur in nature as a free element and must be extracted from its compounds (e.g., feldspars, sodalite, and rock salt). The name Sodium is thought to come from the Arabic word suda, meaning "headache" (due to sodium carbonate's headache-alleviating properties), and its elemental symbol Na comes from natrium, its Latin name.
|Linear Formula||CH3COONa • 3H2O|
|Beilstein Registry No.||3732037|
|IUPAC Name||sodium; acetate; trihydrate|
Typical bulk packaging includes palletized plastic 5 gallon/25 kg. pails, fiber and steel drums to 1 ton super sacks in full container (FCL) or truck load (T/L) quantities. Research and sample quantities and hygroscopic, oxidizing or other air sensitive materials may be packaged under argon or vacuum. Shipping documentation includes a Certificate of Analysis and Safety Data Sheet (SDS). Solutions are packaged in polypropylene, plastic or glass jars up to palletized 440 gallon liquid totes, and 36,000 lb. tanker trucks.
Related Industry Knowledge
- The regulating ability of sodium ac...
- What's the main medicine for indust...
- The use of sodium acetate in feed
- Properties of L- tryptophan
- What is the role of tryptophan to t...
- What is 5- hydroxytryptophan
- Matters of attention when taking me...
- The principle of action of melatonin
- The hydrolysis of sodium acetate in...
- There are many methods of producing...
- Sodium acetate trihydrate preparati...
- Hydrolysis of sodium acetate trihyd...